Lots of snippage.

On 2017-01-27 14:53, RParr wrote:
> 1) Speed is way better than my old line BUT it is not as fast as
> advertised.
> Using a variety of speed tests I get...

As Russel pointed out, only run speed tests over wired connections. WiFi
will be a bottleneck.
iperf3 is a solid test and with iperf.he.net being a test target.
speedtest-cli is not reliable at 1G speeds.
I consistently show 500+ MB up and down.

As Russell pointed out there's really no place to connect to at a full
1G

While typing this my wife started watching an HD moving on Netflix.
And I ran three parallel iperf3 sessions to three different targets:
   iperf3 -c cave.michaelrpdx.com > ip1 & \
   iperf3 -c iperf.he.net > ip2 & \
   iperf3 -4 -c iperf.scottlinux.com > ip3

The aggregate of the three sessions was 921Mbytes/sec

cave.michaerpdx.com is a Seattle based Ramnode VM I use.

The lesson is you can do alot in parallel.

I've also noted my download speeds when running pacman, the Arch Linux
package manager, locally match what I get on my VMs. cave gets
800+Mbytes on an iperf3 test to iperf.he.net.

in all, you now can get as much as any current provider will send and
you can do it to multiple sites simultaneously.

Another interesting tidbit, when I do run Speedtest from a browser I
frequently see upload speeds greater than download speeds.

All in all I'm very happy with the switch from Comcast to CenturyLink.
If you live in Portland and go to the CL store to place your order you
can currently get free installation, free setup, and a screaming great
price. You do need to sign up on a two year contract and agree to
auto-billing and paperless statements.  If you don't want to spend the
extra $$$ for 1G, the 100Mbps service is available with the same
conditions for a little more than half the price.
This deal is certainly available to anyone who had those CenturyLink
door to door sales folks visit.

--
       Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
     Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity