>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> writes:

John> On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 19:17:24 -0800 Russell Senior
John> <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

John> The bill was actually $86.76 because I signed up for their $9.99 a
John> month modem rental, intending to return it and buy my own as soon
John> as I can figure out what to buy. The paperwork says their modem is
John> a Model Number: C2100T. There is another device in addition to the
John> modem, but I don't know what it is. Someone here posted that they
John> had bought a modem for CenturyLink gigabit for $50 somewhere, but
John> I can't find the message now. Advice would be appreciated.

>> You need a router that can do a vlan and pppoe.  The CenturyLink
>> device is just a wireless router with those features, no fancy
>> demodulator like a cable modem.  I have set up a few gateway routers
>> on CL fiber, and I could help.  One person got a D-Link DIR860L-B1
>> (about $30 on amazon) and put LEDE (OpenWrt) on it, with a
>> configuration I helped the with. Works pretty well.
>>
>> Despite the speed claims and speed tests, downloads from actual
>> services tend to be much lower.  I rarely see more that 30 Mbps,
>> although a few times I saw 200-300 Mbps.  I'm not sure why, if it is
>> just bad peering, the other end-point not feeding fast enough, or
>> some kind of active throttling.

John> I neglected to say that the CenturyLink modem connects to my
John> Netgear 6250 gigabit router, and from the Netgear to a couple
John> switches that then connect to my computers, laser printers, and
John> other devices. In other words, I am not using the router features
John> of the modem.

You are using the router features of the CL "modem" but you don't really
need to.  That's the point I am trying to make.  For $30, with some
added elbow grease, I can make your CL "modem" go away.

The only special things their "modem" is doing is the VLAN (201) and the
pppoe configuration, both things that are duplicatable with a $30
router.  Reflashing the Netgear 6250 might also be an option, though
support for the wireless interfaces might be problematic (not sure,
actually, but they are broadcom radios, which make me nervous).  There
is an outside chance that the stock firmware supports VLAN, in which
case it might just be configurable to work.

--
Russell Senior, President
russ...@personaltelco.net