Well, if you have 1-2 bars a directional antenna will give you some gain,
If you can add 5 db to that you should be pretty good. Wonder what they
are using out there? I have an app that shows me which band the radio
is working, I will have to look and see what it is. If you look at
directional
cellular antennas there are quite a few. As to the device, I have been
looking
at several devices all of them are some sort of cell modem, I am trying to
find one that uses PoE and is in a weather proof case. Having lived in
FL I know what salt air is all about. In Tampa anything outside had a life
of about 2 years if it was any of the common metals. I.e. Aluminium, most
steel, and iron. About the only thing that had a reasonable life was SS.

Back on the antenna thing, yes, if you can add some elevation to it even
better. Vegetation is evil. the NW is no better than tropical rain forest
and
in some cases worse, the needles on some of the conifers are 1/2 and 1/4
wave length at some of the common used frequencies and those needles
really suck up the RF. I had a similar situation in S. New Jersey, those
needles were near enough to 800Mhz wavelength to cause major attenuation.
1/4 wave is about 9.8cm, which is about the same length as those pine
needles
in S. New Jersey woods.

Gotta get to bed, am in San Diego tonight gotta go to LA (yetch) tomorrow.
Flew in to LAX from PDX this morning drove down to SAN. Did a job now
back to LA for another one. Then home, the only thing I am going to miss
from here is the sun...

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:33 PM, wes <p...@the-wes.com> wrote:

> > Wes, the neighbor that has the connectivity issues, do they have AT&T
> > coverage on their property? If so I would certainly look into that
> > offering.
> >

> I usually got 1-2 bars of signal strength on my AT&T phone. I didn't try
> other carriers. I suspect it would be much higher with just a little
> elevation, but he's right on the coast so weather protection is extra
> important. Probably more important than the device used - it could just be
> a phone with tethering enabled. But the salt gets into everything and
> wrecks and ruins so fast.
>
> I wish he was a neighbor, sadly he's a 6 hour drive away (Gold Beach), so I
> have to be extra careful about solutions I set up out there.
>
> -wes

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.