It occurs to me that the source being 14.04 and the target being 16.04 is
likely a complications.  See
http://eggsonbread.com/2010/01/28/move-ubuntu-to-another-computer-in-3-simple-steps/

I could upgrade the old 14.04 to 16.04 first to comply with the linked
instructions. (But note that those are from 2010.)  If I ignore this little
complication I worry that things will break badly.  Matching the versions
is not a huge pain.

I do not see that cp requires special handling for . files.  True?