On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Michael wrote:

Paul, Russel,

Both of you have used relative terms in describing sizes.

What is small-ish?
What is VERY LARGE?

Please describe in terms file count, aggregate size of data, or other metrics.

The big caveat is that said metrics are somewhat hardware-dependent. The greater the amount of system RAM, the quicker various checksum and inode calculations can be made. With fast SSDs, all sorts of operations go faster. Ditto with low-latency I/O or network connections.

When I mentioned a "small-ish directory tree," I was thinking of no more than an couple GB in aggregate size, no complex hard-linking, and files numbering in the dozens or hundreds (not tens of thousands). For hardware, I had in mind a typical home PC, not an extreme gamer unit or a well-appointed enterprise server.

If nothing else it will provide some humor in the future. "They considered that VERY LARGE? hahahaha" "small-ISH? it's less than a disk block, that's tiny."

Sad but true...

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com