On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Larry Brigman wrote:

> When you plug in the enclosure, messages from the kernel should show you
> what has been detected. If it a USB storage devices, it should identify
> which device the kernel assigned.

Larry,

   That's what happens when a single USB-connected drive in plugged in;
/var/log/messages shows the assigned device. What I don't know is how the
kernel responds when the USB port has two devices on the other end.

   You wrote, "... it should identify which device ..." which I read as the
kernel seeing only one of the two drives. Is my reading incorrect?

Thanks,

Rich