>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Barnes <barnmich...@gmail.com> writes:

Michael> [...] You indicated you are in 97230, which is Parkrose. Makes
Michael> no difference what ISPs are in Gresham. It looks like your
Michael> choices are CenturyLink DSL, XFinity cable, and possibly
Michael> Frontier fiber (if they have it to your house).

It would be very rare that an ILEC leaves its home territory, so if you
are Frontier land, you may be able to get Frontier DSL and/or may be
able to get Frontier FiOS.  Or if you were in CenturyLink land, you may
be able to get CenturyLink DSL and/or CenturyLink fiber.  But I have yet
to see a location that have access to CenturyLink options and Frontier
options at the same time.

Note also, that on old-style DSL (speeds up to 7Mbps) you can often
choose a third party ISP, such as SpiritOne or Hevanet or the like.  Any
DSL that is faster than that can, with high-probability, but held
exclusive to the party that installed the infrastructure.  This is by
misbegotten design of the FCC and the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

There is no reason, other than policy, that one fiber operator can't
provide infrastructure for all services and all service providers.  The
vertical integration of telecommunications is an ongoing mistake that
continuously harms the consumer for no reason other than the enrichment
of the monopolist rent-seekers.

The policy makers have provided one escape route from this trap.  That's
the route I think we should all be taking.

--
Russell Senior, President
russ...@personaltelco.net