As I mentioned to John, the laptop host Ubuntu 16.04 has successful access
to the printer when the desktop is suspended or powered off.  The laptop's
access is via wireless.  So isn't the printer's USB connection to the
desktop irrelevant?  Perhaps I should not have mentioned it.

The guest Win2k had access to the printer before the desktop/router
changes.  It used the driver recommended by HP, hp deskjet 990c series.
That driver is still available, ('though I may not know how to inform Win2k
about it.)

You mention "turn off/deny promiscuous mode".  Maybe that is the key.  I
will play with that.

I ran ipconfig/all from Win2k.  The results are below.  There are many
things in it that are likely not correct, most of which I do not
understand, nor know how to change.  The wrong entries are likely due to
how I installed VB on the laptop:  I copied over the VB file from the
desktop--it even has the old desktop's name as host.  And I do not know how
to get the corresponding information from Ubuntu if we need more than the
ifconfig reported in my original posting.

Thanks so much for trying to direct a lost soul in over his head.

Now to play with promiscuity.

-Denis

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : winr2d4 [WRONG]
        Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.or.comcast.net [?]

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.or.comcast.net [?]
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet
Adapter[WRONG]
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-D6-6D-3F
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                                            75.75.76.76
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 08, 2017
4:16:42 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 15, 2017
4:16:42 PM