A few days ago, while attempting to get information about a movie file
that had a long and complicated name I just typed the first couple of
letters and then hit tab. Here is an example from just now:

        mkvmerge -i The_bash: cannot create temp file for
        here-document: No space left on device

I had typed 'The_' before hitting tab. And, of course, there are
terabytes of free space available.

When this first occurred a few days ago I started to post a query here,
but was delayed in sending it. A few hours later I discovered that the
problem had resolved itself, so I killed the post that I was going to
send. But tonight it is back, so I probably need to solve the problem.

In case it is important, I almost always use Gnome terminal, but last
time it happened I experimented by going to a real command line
(Ctrl-Alt-F1), where the problem continued. In other words, it is
probably not Gnome terminal.

The computer is Xubuntu 14.04, up to date.

Observations and suggestions welcome.