I've had some spare time lately and have been working on getting Ubuntu
MATE working to my satisfaction on a second machine I got months ago at
ENU (RIP). I am required by the company I do work for to have Skype
running. On my old machine, running Ubuntu 14,04, I have Skype 4.3. It
still works just fine, although I don't know if that will continue. On
the new machine, I had Skype for Linux beta installed. When I tried to
run it today a window popped up apologizing that it was no longer
supported. It had a link to a page that only provided the same version.

In frustration, I tried to install the Windows version of Skype on my
virtual Win7. It only gets as far as a page requiring that I enter my
birthday. There's no opt out available. I have a philosophical aversion
to companies requiring personal information that I don't think they
need, and don't want to give them.

Anyone else using Skype and running into restrictions?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens