The problem persists.  I expect the issue relates to windows issues, since
I know even less about windows than I do Linux.  I deleted the printer,
removed the driver (990c, since HP said that is what will work for the 4630
printer in windows 2000).  I reinstalled the driver by executing the file
990-enu-win2k.exe.  A choice along the way was "want help?", which I
chose.  It hung in a loop between USB or Parallel.  I shut down.  (I assume
that the help wizard was the cause of the hanging.)  Restart and continuing
it said it needed hpzcon04.dll.  I found hpzcon04.dl_, which it took.  Will
not print.  Error msg. is uninformative.

-Denis