On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:23:55 -0700
a...@clueserver.org dijo:

>> I used Thunar to check Properties on everything in / and found
>> nothing out of the ordinary. I need some command line tools to find
>> the pig that is using all my space. Also I need to find out what is
>> causing the pig to be so hungry. Suggestions?
>
>du -h --max-depth=1 /
>
>You can then look in the directory using the most space with the same
>command until you find what you want. You might need to run it under
>sudo to avoid the "cannot access directory" error messages.

I did this and the only thing that looked suspicious was 55016
for /media. I have a hunch that /media is where the problem is, like
what if stuff was supposed to go to a device mounted there but instead
it went to a folder in /media?

This computer has two drives,

        sdb 480GB partitioned as / 84G and the remainder as /home
        sda 1GB, one partition, label Data, mounted at /media/jjj/Data

However, there are also two external drives that are always mounted,
Movies (14TB, USB) and Synology (16TB, NAS). I suspect that Movies is
the problem. It is mounted at /media/jjj/Movies, but I think that there
must be some movies there that are not on the drive. Perhaps I moved
some movies to Movies when the drive was not actually mounted. The
Synology is just a backup mirror of Movies (rsync).

Unfortunately, Thunar just displays all the movies in Movies without
telling me if they are really on the USB drive or whether they are
on /media/jjj/Movies. There are over 1400 folders (one for each movie),
so checking each one individually would be ridiculous. I need a more
efficient way to figure this out. Any suggestions?