I have to chime in with my tip, although john has solved the issue.
First, the biggest issue with / as john saw was that there are lots of
mount points created in the root partition. If somehow one doesn't get
made and then later is made, you can't find the problem easily as some
space use is hidden under the mount. Second, normal du traverses all the
mount points meaning you have to ignore lots of du output, making it
difficult to see what's going on. finally du prints data as it's seen,
and you want to focus attention on big things.  Here is my solution and
since it's / it must be done as root

  sudo du  -d 2 -x / |sort -n

The -x prevents recursing into the mounted file systems, -d 2 prints
data for the top 2 directory levels, (unfortunately you cant use -h
because the human readable sizes don't sort well), but this du with
sort, shows directories sorted by size (usually k bytes), so little
things like
     36      /etc/logwatch
come first and the big this last
   22353524        /var/cache
so you can easily target which subtrees are of interest. Unfortunately,
du doesn't (and shouldn't) unmount things to see whats under the mount
points, so the tip off for that, is to look at the final total
     42368200        /
and if it doesn't match what df says, you know the rest is in the hidden
mounts. in my case df / says
    Filesystem      1K-blocks           Used   Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda4        51475068   42424736   6412508  87% /
which is close.

Once you have a few big directories to look at, can  drill down another
level to see what's using the space, of course if the du and df's
disagree by a lot your stuck with the fact that it's probably a
directory hidden under a mount.  So at least the search is narrowed, to
reflecting on mount activity, and checking things like usb mounts that
don't exist from boot to shutdown.
steve