From: PLUG <plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of Keith Lofstrom
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2023 12:15 AM
To: Russell Senior <russ...@pdxlinux.org>
Cc: plug@lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] UPS shopping - attention suspend?

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 02:36:00AM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:

... UPS ...

> Does anyone have recent experience, either positive or negative,
> and/or any advice on replacements. I'd consider a used older model.

Since computation equals dodopaddle (er "smart phone") for most of My Fellow
Americans, I suspect desktops with UPS
support will eventually become hard to find.

----

I bought my most recent UPS from a Craigslist seller ...
and replaced the batteries with SLAs from Interstate All Battery Center.  A
Craigslist purchase trip is a chance to visit neighborhoods I haven't seen
before.

One of my long term goals is to play with a Tesla Powerwall.
I hope the batteries in those are better tended and last longer than the
batteries in a UPS.  Perhaps they will all fail after Musk absconds to Mars
with our warranty money.

----

A nearer term goal is to replace all the hard drives in the house with
Samsung terabyte SSDs.  My test machines suspend to SSD in less than two
seconds, and reboot in ten.

I can imagine a multicore CPU and a Linux kernel that continuously copies
checkpoint RAM images to SSD, so that after power resumes, the machine
"comes back" to a state resembling what I was working on when the lights
went out.

In a well-designed suspend environment, I can "suspend my thoughts" until
the power comes back - and I am reminded by my computer of what I was doing
before the power glitch.
I would like a similar reminder process for other interrupts - doorbell,
phone calls, potty breaks, and commands from She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Indeed, I would like Linux tools that facilitate "timeouts" for exercise,
meditation, ordering my desk, whatever keeps me at maximum productivity and
happiness.

"Human interrupt and resume" is just another neglected aspect of larger
processes that are only partly addressed by a UPS.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com