"I can understand a bank's web server accepting on Chrome and M$'s browser from
all OS versions, but not before had I had one reject all three browserson the
older OS version while accepting them on the newer version.

Why might that be?"

We could all guess until the cows come home, but your best option IMHO if you
actually want to solve this problem is contact the financial institution
directly.

You prolly won't be able to get an IT person on the phone, but you might, but
you can probably get an email to the IT support folks. Just include all the
pertinent info such as browser name and version, maybe screenshots of the error
mssg. or blank screen, etc.

I suspect it doesn't make much difference these days which OS, but I'd just say
Linux, if that's what you're using.

HTH