As someone pointed out earlier, if the common factor for fail/not fail
behavior is the OS version, then you are likely dealing with openssl
package versions (and TLS version included in that).  Many websites will
not accept older versions of TLS due to extremely bad vulnerabilities, I
would assume the banking sector would be very sensitive to actors sniffing
customers banking data.  We had to deal with this at a previous employer
across the company, both patching openssl versions, removing old buggy
versions, and web admins removing support for TLS vulnerabilities.
https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jan/05/2002560140/-1/-1/0/ELIMINATING_OBSOLETE_TLS_UOO197443-20.PDF