I was resurrecting my daughter's old Lenovo college laptop (G530 from circa
2010) for use when working on projects in my garage - I often need to search
for parts or research problems/procedures.

I replaced the 3GB of RAM with a new matched pair of 2GB DIMMs for $35, and
just for kicks swapped the HD for a small SSD. But the battery was pretty shot
and only lasted about 10 minutes. So I went looking for a replacement.

Reputable places like BatteriesPlus want $90 for a new replacement. But my
searching eventually led me to aliexpress.com. If you've never been there you
should check it out, it can be fun. I've bought things from there before. You
generally just have to be aware that you're buying cheap Chinese products that
may or may not come with English available, and in the case of things like
tablets, webcams, etc. may not be upgradable and may contain backdoors. Most
of the vendors are wholesalers, but will usually sell single quantities.

Long story short, I bought a battery for $17.50, including shipping, from
"YHR store" (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2782025). Shipped from a
warehouse in the US.

So far it hasn't burst into flames. ;-) It identifies itself as a Sony battery,
but I have no way of knowing if that's true.

And it seems to be working fine.

Chinese Li-Ion batteries don't have the best reputation. But I figured laptop
batteries are old-tech and probably a pretty safe bet. Current cellphone and
similar batteries have extremely tight tolerences, but old-school laptop
batteries are generally just AA-sized cells in a package with some control
circuitry that should be pretty much off-the-shelf these days.

So we'll see how it goes.

john-