On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:45:11AM -0800, John Meissen wrote:

> Long story short, I bought a battery for $17.50, including shipping, from
> "YHR store" (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2782025). Shipped from a
> warehouse in the US.
>
> So far it hasn't burst into flames. ;-) It identifies itself as a Sony
> battery,
> but I have no way of knowing if that's true.

Weigh it - how does it compare to the original?

Take it through a full discharge cycle and see how much
charge it holds; a typical trick by shady companies is to
use smaller or fewer cells.  It is VERY unlikely that Sony
sells cheap batteries through "YHR store", which must be
at a little shady, since they probably counterfeited or
stole the ID chip.

And if the battery catches fire on an airplane and melts
a hole through the fuselage, you must buy the airline a
new plane ... if you survive. :-)

Seriously, we should do some testing, review collecting,
and xray imaging and learn where the various knockoff
battery companies land on the good-to-garbage spectrum,
and buy from the good ones ... if any.

In a plug post a few years ago, I wrote about rebuilding
laptop batteries with new cells.  I learned that TSA takes
a Very Dim View of user-rebuilt batteries (which can hide
a deadly amount of explosive) and will prosecute amateur
rebuilders.  Sigh.  We can wish for a TSA-certified laptop
battery rebuild company, but we should wish for a nation
of ambitious hardware entrepreneurs first.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com