On 12/02/2017 03:11 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I bought a small digital voice recorder which saves files in .wav format.
> I found a script to convert from .wav to .mp3, but this device apparently
> has a non-standard format (0x0011).

The "wav" files can be in a number of formats, not just straight
uncompressed MS Windows audio PCM.  You may want to search what format
the device uses for storage and/or compression, perhaps amr, awb, 3gp,
wavpack, or some other format.  codecs exist for these on
Slackbuilds.org, or via gst-plugins-{bad,ugly}. Wavpack is included in
Slackware.

>   Another web search found Sound eXchanger (SoX) which will not only change
> wav formats but convert among many different types. Unfortunately, the
> build
> script available at SlackBuilds.org does not compile with mp2 and mp3
> support (I've written the maintainer about this). But, ...

sox-14.4.2 is include with the full Slackware-14.2 installation.  On
http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Features mp2/mp3 is supported if you
install twolame and lame from Slackbuilds.org (libmad is already part of
Slackware).   Not every lib needs to be compiled into sox to work but
can be supported as a run time dependency. For example, installing
ffmpeg allows sox to handle MP4, AAC, AC3, WAVPACK, AMR-NB, AVI, WMV,
Ogg Theora, and MPEG video files

you can also use lame or ffmpeg to convert wav to mp3 directly.

Also, audacity (slackbuilds.org) may be of help in importing those wav
files as it understands many wav format variants.

>   Until I get sox working to convert from .wav to .mp3 another search
> taught
> me that the 'play' capability within sox produces sounds from .wav files on
> linux. This is an interim solution. Are there other audio format converters
> that I might try on these files?
There are hundreds.  I lost count how many are included in Slackware:
aplay - from ALSA package
play - from sox package
amarok (GUI)
audacious (GUI)
Dragon Player (GUI)
xmms (GUI)
xine (CLI, GUI)
mplayer (CLI, GUI)
Kplayer (GUI part of KDE, mplayer front end)

Also, KaudioCreator (CD rip, convert GUI part of KDE) can convert from
files as well.

>   On a related issue, /var/log/messages shows that the recorder is seen as
> the SCSI disk /dev/sdb. I have an entry in /etc/fstab for my 3T external
> hard drive (ext3 file system) which the kernel sees as /dev/sdb assigned to
> /mnt/hd/. Root can mount the vfat file system recorder on /mnt/hd/; can two
> devices (with different file systems) be listed in /etc/fstab to be mounted
> on the same mount point?

yes, but make sure you specify the "noauto" option in fstab. For usb
drives, better to let udev manage the mount without using a fstab entry
- since /dev/sdX can change based on the order you plug things in and
mount.  Better too may be to specify the 3T external
hard drive mount in fstab as the UUID or PARTUUID, for example:

lsblk -o +UUID,PARTUUID /dev/sdd
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT UUID
        PARTUUID
sdd      8:48   0 931.5G  0 disk

├─sdd1   8:49   0 465.8G  0 part /HD_images
08c18fd7-d2d8-43cd-a188-d69ce9249030 f8147bed-3d91-470f-b0a8-f798e185a35b
└─sdd2   8:50   0 465.8G  0 part /archive
32d70781-3a37-4ddc-af62-5615569bc9b2 d3ddf618-3ae9-4f93-82cb-37a6d1edca31