Try talking to the DMM directly over serial.  The protocol description says:

  Various multimeters from Metex (and rebadged ones) use this common
14-byte packet based ASCII protocol. The actual multimeter ICs in the
devices have different names (e.g. "MASTECH M343-01" or "Metex
KS57C2016") but they all use the same common protocol format.

  The serial port settings can vary from device to device, e.g.
600/1200 baud, 7n2, RTS low, DTR high.

If you get the serial parameters right, you ought to be able to talk
directly at it (e.g. send a D and get a string of bytes).  Maybe you
can snoop the serial with an oscilloscope while running the vendor
interface software and figure out the baud,et al.