I am indeed seeing data values.  The options the sw provides are not ideal,
at least as I am able to understand it, but data does come across.

I would need to understand more (i.e., something) about pyserial to make
the change to ttyUSB0, but all  this is more progress than I have had in
all the time spent beating on this.

-Denis