But gave hint to cheating "fairly: ;/
Used GParted to reformat to FAT32.
But GParted won't label a FAT partition.
Used "fatlabel" to label it.
Edited fstab:
LABEL=owlcommon /home/richard/Documents/tst_common vfat user,rw,umask=000 0 0

Tested by editing the fstab of another Debian instance.
Both can read/write that directory.

When I have time I'll test on another machine which can multi boot WinXP. "fatlabel" gave a warning that Windows might not be happy with a lower case label. But my immediate problem is solved.
Thank you.