On 09/09/2018 05:01 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018, Bill Barry wrote:

Will it but from a live CD?

Bill,

   It will boot from the Slackware distribution DVD, and from the installed
files only if I enter the BIOS setup during boot and explicitly point to the
bootable drive. That drive is set to be the one to use in two places in the
BIOS: main page and advanced setup, but ... it still needs manual
manipulation each time. That's not right.

I obviously don't know the details of your setup, but when I did a CentOS upgrade (6 to 7) at the beginning of the year, I was reminded that dropping a UEFI-based disk into a new machine requires telling the UEFI firmware(aka the BIOS) where to find the boot image. This may not be your problem, but you should confirm that your UEFI firmware has the correct boot path.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
gal...@seitzassoc.com