Good work Jim. Having built up many computers over the decades I watched this thread with interest.

-Dave

On 9/10/2018 1:02 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018, Jim Garrison wrote:

This might just be the one time you NEED a CMOS reset jumper. Before
giving up I'd try that.

Jim,

  Yep. This was the catch of the day. The motherboard manual showed me where
the CMOS jumper is located and provided explicit directions: move jumper
from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. Wait 5-10 seconds (I waited 10). Put
jumper back on pins 1 and 2. Boot system into the BIOS setup and reset
system date/time.

  Sure enough, after doing that the system _paused_ at the screen where it
had stalled then went on to boot. Replacing a dead CMOS battery was a new
experience for me so clearing the CMOS real-time clock was required. Nothing
other than the date and time were changed in the BIOS settings.

  Another new experience where I could not use prior knowledge to fix the
problem.

Thanks very much,