Oooooohhhh. Yeah it's an issue with your GPU and compositing.
Sometimes more than 1 screen does this but those bugs are less common these
days.

For some reason the app window isn't refreshing properly and I'm pretty
sure it's an interaction between your GPU and modern display software.
The X1300 is an old chip that was dropped ages ago by AMD's linux driver. I
had a laptop with an x1250 and ran into similar stupidness.

So for the last several years, your X1300 GPU has been running the reverse
engineered "radeon" driver module. AMD never really dumped support into
this module directly, so it has always been incomplete. That chip is
literally part of a batch I tested with post-2012 ubuntu desktops. It's not
a happy combination.

So Google Earth shows up, tries to render a nice 3D scene and your GPU is
instructed by your Desktop Compositor to blend Google's Earth with the rest
of your desktop. Transparent windows... smooth round edges... all the stuff
people expect in a "modern" desktop.
Now at this point the Earth smashes into your desktop leaving pieces of
itself scattered in random places because your entire UI is assuming you
have a recent,  OpenGL compliant card. They assume too much.

At Free Geek, we worked around the issue by not going with vanilla Ubuntu
12.04. After 10.04 we moved to Xubuntu, which solves this problem by using
CPU rendering for the desktop. GPU-heavy apps are given a dedicated window
to draw in, isolated from the rest of the desktop. By Simplfying the role
of the GPU, there are less problems when using radeon and nouveau. Which
was funny because Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu all use the same EXACT
drivers.

Towards the end of my interships at FreeGeek they moved to Mint and
actually shipped 2 versions of Linux Mint because of the same problem.
- Cinammon:  a modern desktop for recent hardware
- MATE: Legacy gnome2-ish desktop with support for outdated, but functional
hardware.

Your system would receive the latter. Again, same driver stack, but less
problems on the old-school.
I don't know if they still do it that way, but for a while it was routine
to swap out the desktop the moment we saw signs of problems. I did a lot of
testing to demonstrate these GPU driver issues on Ubuntu which allowed them
to repurpose a bunch of HP and Dell dual-core systems.

A box of donuts says Google Earth would work just fine if you switch to
XFCE.