On 1/2/19 10:17 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
On 1/2/19 10:04 AM, David wrote:
On 1/2/19 10:01 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
I can run ssh -X on my Slackware machine and connect to my Ubuntu 18 machine. But I can't run caja on that connection. I get this error message:

dick@ENU-1$ caja
Could not parse arguments: Cannot open display:
dick@ENU-1$

Try looking at the -Y flag to see if that helps your situation. I've gotten lazy (admittedly) and just run -XY on my connections when I need them these days.

Going from the Ubuntu machine to the Slackware machine, ssh -Y performs the same as ssh -X. In other words nothing happens and it is closed by <ctrl>C.

Going from the Slackware machine to the Ubuntu machine, ssh -Y connects. But when I run caja, it opens on the Ubuntu machine's display.

So ssh -Y doesn't help in my situation. Thanks for letting me know that -Y exists, though.

Let's start with the basics then.

When you connect each way, what is the response from the command:
   echo $DISPLAY

If you get back a blank line, something is preventing the variable from being set. If you get a line similar to "host:10.0" then I would suspect that caja is doing something and not using that environment variable.

Does xterm or something similar behave as anticipated?

dafr