Maybe I'm stating the obvious. Normally you would be running this command
from a local X client where the shell would have the $DISPLAY value set.
Like this:
echo $DISPLAY
127.0.0.1:0.0

Once I connect via ssh -X,  the same command produces this output:
echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

You have three options in the destination host sshd_config that control
whether you can have the application display on the remote server.
X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalhost yes

Only the first one needs to be set.  The other settings are default and
don't need to be changed.

Maybe another obvious fact
Restarting sshd will allow it to operate with changed settings on new
connections.  Existing connections will continue with the old settings.