Could be a weird keyboard mapping rather than the password getting
scrambled. If you have a graphical login check for something like a
localization setting. For example if you see a UK flag instead of a US
flag. Or also Dvorak.

If it's the password the usual trick from alternative boot like a USB stick
is to switch to root "sudo -i" then chroot to the system you need to update
the password on an run passwd. Can also avoid the boot USB by changing the
boot line in grub to replace init with bash, but that is trickier than I
want to explain here.