Perhaps I'm the only one who did not know that texlive provides a tool,
pdfjam, that allows us to convert PDF page sizes. In case others would find
this useful I'll explain how I used the stackexchange answer to convert from
A4 page size to letter page size.

I downloaded a recipe posted on the Web by an Australian cook so the printed
page size was A4. Printing it on letter paper cuts off the bottom of the
first page. So I used pdfinfo and pdfjam for the conversion like this:

$ pdfinfo chinese-bbq-pork.pdf Creator: cairo 1.9.5 (http://cairographics.org)
Producer:       cairo 1.9.5 (http://cairographics.org)
Tagged:         no
Pages:          2
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 1008 pts
File size:      881294 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.5

$ pdfjam --outfile out.pdf --paper letter chinese-bbq-pork.pdf
          ----
  pdfjam: This is pdfjam version 2.08.
  pdfjam: Reading any site-wide or user-specific defaults...
              ##
              ## From /etc/pdfjam.conf:
              ##
              tempfileDir='/var/tmp'
              tidy='true'
              keepinfo='false'
              checkfiles='false'
              paper='letterpaper'
              outFile="$pwd"
              suffix='pdfjam'
              landscape='false'
              twoside='false'
              preamble=''
  pdfjam: Effective call for this run of pdfjam:
          /usr/bin/pdfjam --outfile out.pdf --paper letter --
chinese-bbq-pork-1.pdf -
  pdfjam: Calling pdflatex...
  pdfjam: Finished.  Output was to 'out.pdf'.

Then I renamed out.pdf to the recipe's name after confirming the process
worked as expected:

$ pdfinfo out.pdf Creator: TeX
Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.19
CreationDate:   Tue Feb  5 14:05:57 2019
ModDate:        Tue Feb  5 14:05:57 2019
Tagged:         no
Pages:          2
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
File size:      878585 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.5

This is a very useful tool to add to my collection of PDF tools. Hope you
also have use for it.

Regards,