Yes, you can turn icloud off on a mac. Make sure you’ve got a local copy of all
the things. AFAIK, when you turn it off, it will remove certain things, which
is why I say “make a local copy”.
Once its off, you can leave it off. You can also reinstall and not use icloud
at all. That said, I believe that OS updates are distributed through the app
store and require a sign-in.

You should be able to convert the media using standard tools. May be easier
doing so on the mac, don’t know. You can also use iTunes to convert m4a -> mp3.
I haven’t bothered with ogg vorbis for over a decade. Dealing with
compatibility was never worth it, and setting up an audiofile type listening
room, well, that was also not worth it. If you decide to convert via iTunes,
you’ll want to go to settings and change the import encoder to mp3. From there,
you can select things and i think right-click -> convert.

> On Feb 23, 2019, at 1:55 PM, Michael Christopher Robinson
> <mich...@robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone have an iTunes library?  My iPod touch died...  but I still have
> my Mac Mini.  My smartphone is a motorola Android, so it doesn't run
> iOS and apparently doesn't support iTunes.  I've done a little research
> on Android and iTunes, but seems that the options available from Apple
> are beta quality software.
>
> I don't like Apple iCloud.  It's space limited and I have to have an
> Internet connection to access it.  I have privacy concerns and access
> concerns.  Does Mac OSX Mojave allow you to turn iCloud completely off
> or at least set things up so that you have a local copy of everything
> in your iCloud?
>
> I have a few iTunes songs, less than 50.  Can I convert them to
> another format...  such as ogg vorbis?  I've paid for the songs, why
> couldn't I convert them so that they'll work with Linux and Android
> directly?
>
>       -- Michael Robinson

Louis Kowolowski                                lou...@cryptomonkeys.org
<mailto:lou...@cryptomonkeys.org>
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/
<http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977