Adding to what Paul said,

you should also be able to run ’ssh-add -l’ on the destination host and see the
same key. If not, you aren’t successfully forwarding the agent.
You may wish to try things manually, with a ssh -A ${host}, alternatively, you
could add ' ForwardAgent yes’ to your .ssh/config under a host stanza (perhaps
the ‘Host *’). This would cause the agent information to be automagically
forwarded even if you don’t use the -A option.

> On Jul 19, 2019, at 5:03 PM, Paul Heinlein <heinl...@madboa.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> As I transition from the old server/workstation I frequently copy files and
>> directories using scp. Each time I need to enter my pass phrase and I
>> thought that ssh-agent eliminated that need. Apparently not. Since all
>> transfers are in the LAN and not exposed to the outside world, which tool
>> allows internal scp and ssh transfers without entering the pass phrase each
>> time? I no longer remember what it is and missed finding it looking at ssh
>> web pages.
>
> Your local ssh-agent should do the trick. Going out on a limb, I'm going to
> suggest that the fix should be easy.
>
> I'll assume you have two systems, source and destination. Those designations
> refer to ssh ops, not file ops. That is, the source system is where you run
> scp (regardless of whether you're copying files to or from that system).
>
> On source, run
>
>  ssh-add -l
>
> You should see a list of one or more keys loaded into the agent, e.g.,
>
> [heinlein@ORPB095 ~]$ ssh-add -l
> 2048 SHA256:FI8x908kRGmuA4jh4DowO2iSoNot9pAkeyqGamRt6gRgMk0
> /Users/heinlein/.ssh/id_rsa (RSA)
>
> If you don't see a key listed, run
>
>  ssh-add
>
> The public version of the key you added (typically, but not always, located
> in ~/ssh/id_rsa.pub) should be present in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on
> the destination host.
>
> I suggest running "chmod -R go-rwx ~/.ssh" on both hosts to ensure the strict
> file permissions SSH demands.
>
> --
> Paul Heinlein
> heinl...@madboa.com

Louis Kowolowski                                lou...@cryptomonkeys.org
<mailto:lou...@cryptomonkeys.org>
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/
<http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977