I have read more and made some progress ;}
I am using Debian 9.8 {Stretch} with MATE desktop on two Lenovo laptops.
As I used Networkmanager to create the ad-hoc network, I only have WEP *NOT* WPA at the moment [but have info on doing WPA]. [see https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#WiFi_can_scan.2C_but_not_connect_using_NetworkManager_.28Debian_9_Stretch.29
on how to overcome a connection problem.]

My stated goal is file sharing on a peer-to-peer network with exactly two nodes. The unstated purpose of chosen method is understanding networks. Traveling down memory lane to early 60's, I can see this as a Sophomore/Junior E.E. lab {Cornell's B.S.E.E. program was 5 years at the time ;]

Since I last posted, I've discovered "Open Systems .Interconnection (OSI) Model".

I would like to be pointed to material on creating an appropriate P2P network with a preference to sources tied to OSI. {References to servers/clients, switches, routers, un-listed hardware, etc are _*VERBOTEN*_!}

TIA