On 08/10/2019 02:01 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

I have read more and made some progress ;}
I am using Debian 9.8 {Stretch} with MATE desktop on two Lenovo laptops.
As I used Networkmanager to create the ad-hoc network, I only have WEP
*NOT* WPA at the moment [but have info on doing WPA].
[see

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#WiFi_can_scan.2C_but_not_connect_using_NetworkManager_.28Debian_9_Stretch.29
on how to overcome a connection problem.]

My stated goal is file sharing on a peer-to-peer network with exactly
two nodes. The unstated purpose of chosen method is understanding
networks. Traveling down memory lane to early 60's, I can see this as a
Sophomore/Junior E.E. lab {Cornell's B.S.E.E. program was 5 years at the
time ;]

Nothing on wireless involves two nodes. Each station broadcasts. It's only
happenstance if only two stations are receiving, it could easily be more.

IRRELEVANT to topic at hand. *MY* LAN has exactly two nodes. The "physical transport layer" happens to be WiFi, could just as well be 20mA current loop.

Did you see this?

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/AdHoc

Yes but it is not germane as Networkmanager was used to establish the connection. It does the same job but evidently stores its information differently.

Since I last posted, I've discovered "Open Systems .Interconnection
(OSI) Model".

Did you see this part?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model#Comparison_with_TCP/IP_model
[snip long quotation]

I hadn't. But I did not see any guidance there.

I would like to be pointed to material on creating an appropriate P2P
network with a preference to sources tied to OSI.
{References to servers/clients, switches, routers, un-listed hardware,
etc are _*VERBOTEN*_!}

TIA