On Thu, 3 Oct 2019, Dick Steffens wrote:

I was going to ask if the jdk and the jre can interfere with each other,
but I see from your comments that, at least if I use Oracle's version,
they don't.

Dick,

JRE is a subset of the JDK. The former allows you to run java applications
while the latter adds the tools to write java applications, too.

Will I run into trouble trying to install the jdk with an existing jre? Or
should I uninstall the existing jre and then install the jdk?

You can run multiple versions simultaneously. Doesn't matter if they're
Oracle's stuff or openjdk/openjre. But, some applications use the FX widget
set rather than an older one and some of the open* don't include javajfx.

For simplicity, install Oracle's versions needed by the software you run.

Good luck!