On Thu, 3 Oct 2019, Dick Steffens wrote:

Thanks. I'll try installing Oracle's version without uninstalling the
other one and see if there are complaints. If there are, I'll uninstall
the version in Synaptic.

Dick,

The main java application I run is JabRef and it's very particular about
having its hard-wired java version installed. Up through version 4.3.1 I
used jdks through 8. The new version 5.0.0 (not quite ready for prime time)
requires jdk11 because that has long-term support by Oracle.

I think there are other java apps I use but they've not made themselves
intrusive in my work.

HTH,