Wow. ok. Mounting a drive isn't supposed to change the device node. You can
mount/unmount drives all day long and as along as you don't add additional
devices it should stay the same. My guess is that something is lingering
around in the driver stack. If you can, reboot the computer with the drive
unplugged and start fresh. USB hosts can do weird things so I wonder if
something is super confused.

Or maybe your USB drive has become sentient and is learning the alphabet.
It knows a, b, c, and d, so by this time tomorrow it will have learned e.