IMHO they’re all approx. the same. the hardware is typically low(ish) quality.
They typically can’t sustain full bandwidth on all ports at the same time (eg.
an 8 port 1g switch would not be capable of actually passing 8G of traffic
through it at the same time).
Typically they don’t release firmware/software updates very often, if at all.
They typically don’t have any field replaceable units, so when something dies,
you chuck the whole thing and replace it. Support is typically trash. It will
take forever to get them to do anything.

UBNT is a little better. Sort of a prosumer line. Sometimes their software
releases are bumpy. UBNT typically has a single pane of glass to manage all
their things (switches, routers, access points) that is probably sufficient for
home/SMB. This may be more than you want. Support is pretty hit-or-miss
according to the forums.

If you want/need support, you typically need to step up to bigger vendors and
pay for a support contract (well worth it IMHO unless your time spent
troubleshooting is worth nothing).

PoE requires a much more substantial power supply, which typically drives the
price up a fair bit (this is true for ISP/Enterprise equipment as well). If
you’re looking for something that will provide PoE, make sure you get specifics
on standards that are required. Not all vendors conform to or support all
standards or proprietary ways of doing it (smaller vendors do this more often
than bigger vendors. helps keep you locked to their equipment and is another
way of ending up paying more for less).

> On Nov 23, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
> While my old LinkSys (non-gigabit) switch worked for years it recently died.
> I'm now using a Netgear GS116 gigabit switch and I want a backup unmanaged
> 16-port gigabit switch.
>
> I find them available from Cisco, Netgear, TrendNet, TP-Link, and D-Link.
> Where reviews are provided (Newegg and Amazon) they range from 1 to 5 stars;
> the lower rankings seem to be due to poor customer support when a switch (or
> some ports) fail. Prices also range quite broadly (not considering that some
> offer PoE or PoE+ and others don't.)
>
> Are any of the brands preferred, or to be avoided?
>
> I've not found sufficient information to make an informed decision and am
> confident that those of you who manage networks have real-world experiences
> with these devices. Please share your knowledge with me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Louis Kowolowski                                lou...@cryptomonkeys.org
<mailto:lou...@cryptomonkeys.org>
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/
<http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977