On 11/23/19 8:27 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> While my old LinkSys (non-gigabit) switch worked for years it recently
> died.
> I'm now using a Netgear GS116 gigabit switch and I want a backup unmanaged
> 16-port gigabit switch.
>
> I find them available from Cisco, Netgear, TrendNet, TP-Link, and D-Link.
> Where reviews are provided (Newegg and Amazon) they range from 1 to 5
> stars;
> the lower rankings seem to be due to poor customer support when a switch
> (or
> some ports) fail. Prices also range quite broadly (not considering that
> some
> offer PoE or PoE+ and others don't.)
>
> Are any of the brands preferred, or to be avoided?

Rich

I currently have a combination of TP-Link, Netgear, D-Link 10/100/1000
switches scattered about to route data to various rooms, all bought on
sale. As mentioned already on this thread, there are not a lot of
differences as the tech, firmaware and chipsets are mature for
unmananged devices.  I can stream 4K on the Roku, while transferring
gigabytes among the various boxes here, without any noticeable hick-up.

I do tend to prefer metal encased versions, however, as they seem a bit
more resilient to RF interference.

My corporate overlord bundles unmanaged Milan/Transition switches for
our laboratory equipment and I have not seen any of those fail in 10+
yrs, some of which are in fairly dirty and/or hot manufacturing
environments.

-Ed