When you boot Knoppix - it will either prompt you to make the USB stick
with persistent storage on the first boot - or you can create new knoppix
USB media using the included writer from the booted system.

Actually, when booting Knoppix, you could supply boot option to load the
boot media to RAM. Then it runs blazing fast - And you can remove the USB
stick and perhaps create new Knoppix boot media on the same USB device
using the included image writer.

I do realize the inherent recursiveness of my description, but it is meant
to be used as such.

Tomas