On Wed, 18 Dec 2019, Russell Senior wrote:

The WAN+2LAN2 wizard is almost certainly what broke it. Rich asked me to
configure it, which I did. There was never any mention that WAN+2LAN2 was
desirable or desired, so I'm perplexed why Rich would have felt motivated
to click on that option. Luckily, he has two, unless he possibly broke
both of them at the same time.

I thought that's what I wrote. I 'desired' it because that's how the
original er-x was configured. Not the WAN+2LAN but the WAN+2LAN2.

Anyway, I rebooted the Dell it came up with the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.38
but does not allow me to log in using either the default or re-assigned
login names and passwords.

So, I'll read how to reset it to factory defaults and start from scratch.
As the Dell now accepts leases on eth0 I'll be able to re-do the wizard,
services, and system configurations.