On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 9:02 AM Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Russell Senior wrote:
>
> > Success?
>
> No. I was able to log in using ubnt/ubnt and change login name and
> password.
> Saved change and rebooted. Tried logging in again and it rejected both
> ubnt/ubnt and the new login name/password. ip showed no 192.168.0.0/16 LAN
> address for eth0 on the laptop.

Did you restore the config I sent you, like I suggested?

Since then even a hard reset (which has different reactions on the two
> routers) does not allow communications: network is unreachable.

The quick start guide:
https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/edgemax/EdgeRouter_ER-X_QSG.pdf

says:

"There are two methods to reset the EdgeRouter to factory defaults:
• Runtime reset (recommended) The EdgeRouter should be running after bootup
is complete. Press and hold the Reset button for about 10 seconds until the
eth4 LED starts flashing and then becomes solidly lit. After a few seconds,
the LED will turn off, and the EdgeRouter will automatically reboot.
• Power-on reset Disconnect power from the EdgeRouter. Press and hold the
Reset button while connecting power to the EdgeRouter. The port LEDs will
light up in sequential order. Keep holding the Reset button until the LED
on the last port starts flashing, and then release the button."

Which did you do?

You realize that it will go back to the state where you need to connect to
eth0 and set a static IP on 192.168.1.x/24 (where x not equal 1), and then
connect to 192.168.1.1 and restore the config I sent you.

> None of this makes any sense. Later today I'll replace the Dell with
> another
> laptop and try connecting to the hard-reset routers again. If they've
> booted
> and will issue an IP address to the laptop I can log via wlan0, change
> login
> name/password, restore your config.boot file, save and reboot the router.

After a factory reset, they don't run a DHCP server until you configure
one, which my config will do.