On Jan 10, 2020, at 1:31 PM, Mike C. <mconno...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You might look at something like SyncThing (https://syncthing.net <
>> https://syncthing.net/>). I’ve been pretty happy with it. It replicates
>> files. Nice and simple. Supported on many platforms, although there can be
>> issues with mobile. Also does a nice job of working behind firewalls and
>> NAT (although I’ve seen some issues with double-NAT).
>>
>> Its also available as a plugin for FreeNAS.
>>

> Yes. I discovered Syncthing last night on a list of Google Drive
> alternatives that also included SpiderOak. That's my short list for the
> moment.
>
> Although SpiderOak has captured my attention as they have an annual
> transparency report, they're mostly open-source, their work on the Crypton
> framework <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypton_(framework)>, "a
> JavaScript framework for building applications where the server doesn't
> know the contents it's storing on behalf of users.", and they've
> open-sourced their encrypted password manager, and secure chat app.
>
> It's also a paid service, $6/mth, which allows me to financially support
> people furthering the development of this much needed technology.
>
> More info here on SpiderOak,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpiderOak

I haven’t used spideroak since probably 2014. They had some issues with data
recovery. I assume they ironed those out. It worked fine. Its still a
centralized service. I like SyncThing better because the data only lives on my
computers.

--
Louis Kowolowski                                lou...@cryptomonkeys.org
<mailto:lou...@cryptomonkeys.org>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977