I'm almost set to use jitsi, except it will not recognize a microphone

Invoking meet.jit.si using chromium (or chrome) and entering a meeting name
opens the meeting and activates the camera so I'm looking at myself. But
when I try to open the audio channel the attempts fail.

Using the mic on the Yamaha headset jitsi tells me I (or it) don't have the
correct permissions. Disconnecting the headset I reconfigure pavucontrol to
use the webcam mic and the external speakers. But, jitsi fails to connect to
this microphone and cannot tell me why.

Connecting the AudioTechnica AT2500USB and selecting it in pavucontrol
(turning off the web camera's mic), jitsi again tells me it cannot connect
to this microphone and again doesn't know why.

Correct browser.
Webcam detected, accepted, and working.
Speakers possibly working.
Microphones not found or accepted.

BTW, no responsed on the jitsi community forum about this issue.

What am I missing here?