Can you find some error messages from previous boot by sudo journalctl?

If not - try older distro - say 16.04 - if that is stable - perhaps it is not
related to your BIOS work. if that helps - would 18.4 run without crashes?

It kind of feels like graphics driver issue rather than SATA - it would probably
crash during boot.

Try disabling GUI all effects, later HW acceleration.

Can you re-flash Thinkpad BIOS to see if that resolves it?

Just some ideas,
Tomas