On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 19:57:52 -0700
"Mike C." <mconno...@gmail.com> dijo:

>The app behavior you're describing seems like some things aren't
>playing well together or something is missing.
>
>I'm familiar with SNAP, but I haven't used it. Perhaps it's installing
>an older version of Mateo or some file or sym link is missing.

It installed 0.9.8, which is the latest version listed on the Meteo
Gitlab site.

>On the bottom of my last reply there's a link to an article about
>installing Mateo on diff distros. Under Ubuntu it talks about running
>s sym link command to ensure that QT5 is the system default.

The Gitlab bitseater page suggests to use snap, so that is what I did.
But you're right, the link at the bottom of your e-mail (which you
echoed at the beginning of the e-mail) discusses a lot of other things,
and I didn't do any of them. I just let snap do its thing.

>Again, don't know much about this stuff, but something like that might
>affect how the applet is rendered/displayed.

I'm going to use snap to uninstall it, and then follow the instructions
from the link.

>It also might be worth trying Cumulus and/or Coffee, booth are similar
>to Mateo to see if you can get either of those to work.

I looked at both of them. Coffee adds news, which I don't really want,
and regarding cumulus:

1) it couldn't find an internet connection - error message "The owner
of /home/jjj/.config/ibus/bus is not root!"
2) it opens a tiny window with a font that is about 1mm high -
virtually illegible, and there appears to be no way to change it.

I'm still working on meteo. Stay tuned.