I've used a personal domain for years, and the email address attached
to it is the one I care about most, though of course I have a few
gmail and other addresses. For years I ran my own email server. But
when my ISP crashed and burned (remember SpiritOne and the crook who
destroyed it?) and I didn't have a lot of time for research I started
paying Google $5/month for a g-suite account. (Everything else moved
to Linode, which has been great. I'm pretty sure the recommendation
came from this group. Thanks!)

I'd rather not be giving Google my money, but I worry more about the
data they're certainly scraping from my mail. Yet when I look
occasionally into the Spam folder I can see that I'm getting something
in addition to storage for my (now) $6/month.

And so the question: what are those of you who have the expertise to
run an email server doing? Do you handle your own mail, or do you pay
a service to do it for you? If the former, what are the leading
choices on a Debian server? If the latter, services to be recommended?

I suspect my requirements are pretty limited. When I had the ability
to add unlimited email addresses and to run code on every incoming
email I used both, but I've gotten used to not being able to do that
sort of thing. So I can probably live with a pretty simple service as
long as I can access it on a smartphone and through a web interface.

Thanks!

--Eric
--
My g-bike can trounce your e-bike!