Quick follow up to this... I checked the ubuntu package database (packages.ubuntu.com) and ran a search for the ubuntu provided meson package:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=meson&searchon=names&suite=focal&section=all

Ubuntu 20.04 includes meson 0.53.2. This matches what you get when you run 'meson --version'. So this means pip3 is either not installing meson (because meson is already installed) or it is installing it to a virtual environment outside your normal $PATH variable. There are a few different ways to fix that but it kind of depends on what pip3 says when you try to install meson.

You need to figure out where pip3 is installing meson or if it is returning errors due to meson already being installed.

-Ben