On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 22:54:58 -0800
John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Right now the other computer (my desktop) basically does that - it
> accesses the files via the Synology. It works fine, but sometimes I
> want to view a file with the desktop and the file is new and hasn't
> been backed up yet. So I can't access it unless I first run a manual
> backup to the Synology, and then refresh the desktop's GUI file
> manager.
>
> I want to think of the Synology as nothing more than backup of the
> 31TB Thunderbolt 3 RAID0 array. The TB3 RAID0 array is what I should
> be accessing, not its backup. At least, that's what seems logical to

Perhaps in your search for a GUI you are over-complicating things. It's
really not that hard to add a single line entry into the text file
/etc/exports ounce you have the helper rpc daemons setup. Now you've
got an entire web stack to worry about, graphics toolkit and a modern
web browser.

--
< "Elvis is my copilot." -- Cal Keegan >