On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 15:49:01 -0500
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com> dijo:

>Before you finish you victory lap here - try to open some larg-ish
>file in the file manager.
>
>You will notice:
>a) the file is first downloaded to some temporary file then opened as
>local. If you edit and save the edits - it will be in the tmp file,
>not the original
>b) the file will not open at all because the path to it, in the file
>browser, does not represent the file path outside the file manager.
>
>There is no good way around mounting remote file systems through some
>gui magic at this point in time.

OK, I just tried it with a 2.1GB .mkv file. I dragged it from the file
manager and dropped it on VLC.

(I do it this way because of a bug that I think is in Xfce or the
window manager - if I close VLC by clicking on the X in the upper right
corner of the window, many times some piece of VLC doesn't close down,
so next time I try to launch VLC it can't run.)

Anyway, VLC instantly started playing the 2.1GB file, no problems. The
file in question is located on my external Thunderbolt 3 enclosure
populated with NVMe drives, connected to my laptop, and mounted at
/media/jjj/. The file manager and VLC are on my desktop, and the file
manager says the folder that it is displaying is:

        sftp://192.168.1.163/media/jjj/Movies/<name of the movie>

The file manager is Thunar, which is what Gigolo opened when I double
clicked on the folder icon that was labeled 192.168.1.163, the icon
that Gigolo created after I logged in to the laptop. I also navigated
around in Thunar to explore other folders on the laptop, and it was
just as fast and trouble-free as when I do it with a file manager
directly on the laptop.

I didn't try modifying the file to see what might happen. Normally all
I want to do is access the files to see them, not modify them. There
is, of course, another copy of the same file on the Synology, and until
now I have had to use that copy on the desktop. But the Synology is
super slow on initial access; I have to sit and wait as I listen to the
drives grinding and clicking. Hopefully now the Synology will only be
used for 3am backups, where its glacial speed won't annoy me.