On Fri, Feb 11, 2022, 08:39 Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2022, Galen Seitz wrote:
>
> > Using UUIDs should prevent much of this grief. For example, here's a line
> > from mdadm.conf on one my my machines:
>
> Galen/Tomas:
>
> Okay. I've six mdadm.conf files here, including /etc/mdadm.conf which is
> all
> commented out. Since mdadm has been working on creating the raid1 for about
> 17.5 hours now there may be content in there when it's finished.
>
> I'll learn more about using UUIDs in fstab as well as mdadm and use them. I
> have a record of them for the hdds in the Probox and can get the ones for
> the SSD and HDD in the desktop from fdisk.
> .

The point about not using /dev/sd*, especially with external enclosures, is
that the device letter can change (not just once) during the array build.

If you want to be sure that your storage works, just go to the begging and
use uuids to build and use the array. That is my advice anyway.

There is not much to learn about uuids, they are just a disk or partition
identifier, like /dev/sd*

Note: uuids for the disk and its partitions can change when creating
partitioning. They are assigned by fdisk/parted/etc. Essentially, you
manage uuids yourself.

Tomas